Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Keto Weight Loss Update - Week 5

Week 5 results are in, and the numbers look good. I had a scare last Wednesday, as I was feeling a little odd, with a little bit of dizziness, so I checked my blood sugar. It was about an hour after I had eaten breakfast, which consisted of 2 muffin pan frittatas, along with 4 turkey breakfast sausages. When I checked it, it was 132, which scared me a little, as there should have been no carbs in my breakfast, unless there was some that snuck in with the ham that I was eating in the frittatas, or from the dextrose in the Splenda I had put in my coffee. I started also worrying about gluconeogenesis (latin for new sugar creation), which is where the liver converts dietary (and even muscle) protein into sugars for metabolism if you aren't fat-adapted. I freaked out, quit using Splenda in my coffee and switched to a mixture of monk fruit and Erythritol, and stopped eating my breakfast frittatas. I have been keeping an eye on my sugar, and saw the next day that it had risen again.

One other thing I did to help push me into ketosis was on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, I did an intermittent fast. Basically, what that means is that the night before, I didn't eat after 8pm. In fact, I didn't eat after dinner, which is usually 6-6:30pm because I wasn't hungry. Then, the next day, I didn't eat breakfast, and waited until noon to eat lunch, which means that including sleep time, I fasted for 16 hours. What makes that fairly easy is that I wasn't really hungry Saturday or Sunday morning anyway, but I also learned that bulletproof coffee does not break the fast, so even with putting my coconut oil, heavy cream, and monk fruit/erythritol sweetener in my coffee, it has no effect on a fast, so I had that, which kept me from being hungry.

Not sure what to make of the sugar readings, but the numbers are in, and they are pretty solid:

Day 0 -  197 lbs, 35% body fat.
Day 7 -  195.5 lbs, 33% body fat
Day 14 - 194.5 lbs, 32% body fat
Day 21 - 192.5 lbs, 31% body fat
Day 28 - 190.5 lbs, 33% body fat
Day 35 - 188.5 lbs, 31% body fat

On Day 0, I weighed in at 197 lbs with 35% fat, which equates to 69 lbs of fat. (yuck).
On Day 7, I weighed in at 195.5 lbs, with 33% fat, which equates to 64.5 lbs of fat.
On Day 14, I weighed in at 194.5 lbs, with 32% body fat, which equates to 62.24 lbs of fat.
On Day 21, I weighed in at 192.5 lbs, with 31% body fat, which equates to 59.68 lbs of fat.
On Day 28, I weighed in at 190.5 lbs, with 33% body fat, which equates to 62.87 lbs of fat.
On Day 35, I weighed in at 188.5 lbs, with 31% body fat, which equates to 58.43 lbs of fat.

Last week, I lost 2 lbs of weight, and went back down to the 31% body fat I was at on week 3. I think the fasting helped to get me back into ketosis, as I noted 'keto breath' a few times during the week. I was able to work out three times, so not as many as I like, but enough. I'm at my lowest amount, by weight, of body fat yet, and I expect those numbers to continue to decline as my weight drops, and I continue to exercise to prevent muscle loss.

On a side note, I did some searching, and found a place locally that does Bod Pod measurements to get a professional body analysis, and damn, it's expensive. In general, they run $130 per reading. I'll kick that around for a while, and decide if it's something that I want to save my pennies for.

Scott


I don't have any recommendations on any good keto books this week, but I do have some internet references for anyone considering a low-carb diet. See these video resources:

Dr. Ken Berry is a no-nonsense proponent of the ketogenic diet. He's a family practice MD from Tennessee, and he holds no punches when it comes to old modes of thought regarding diet, health, etc.

KetoConnect is Matt and Megha, a couple who have been on the ketogenic diet for a couple of years, do shopping trips to various locales, do cooking demos, and have even written a keto cookbook.

#keto #ketolife

No comments:

Post a Comment