Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Keto Weight Loss Update - Week 3

Week 3 results are in, and I have to say that I was dreading getting on the scale this morning. Over the past week I missed 3 of my 5 workouts, and had two different days where I ate significant amounts of carbohydrates - one day it was snuck into my food (through my own ignorance of carb levels in certain foods), and one day where I knew that I was eating them. It was a special occasion, and we went out to a nice restaurant where I ate some some bread, and ate a meal that I'm pretty certain contained a lot of carbs. The morning after our night out, I took three capsules of Keto by Design (as discussed during Week 0) So, I stepped up onto the scale, and was surprised by the results.

That said, here are the numbers:

Day 0 -  197 lbs, 35% body fat.
Day 7 -  195.5 lbs, 33% body fat
Day 14 - 194.5 lbs, 32% body fat
Day 21 - 192.5 lbs, 31% body fat

On Day 0, I weighed in at 197 lbs with 35% fat, which equates to 69 lbs of fat. (yuck).
On Day 7, I weighed in at 195.5 lbs, with 33% fat, which equates to 64.5 lbs of fat.
On Day 14, I weighed in at 194.5 lbs, with 32% body fat, which equates to 62.24 lbs of fat.
On Day 21, I weighed in at 192.5 lbs, with 31% body fat, which equates to 59.68 lbs of fat.

Last week, I lost 2 lbs of weight, and 1% body fat. That means that while I lost 2 lbs of overall weight, I actually lost  2.56 lbs of fat. So, exercise is helping me not only minimize lean muscle loss, but is in fact, helping me to gain muscle mass. One thing that is hard for me to get my head around is that while I've lost a total of only 4.5 lbs of weight, I've actually lost almost 10 lbs of body fat in just three weeks!


Here's my typical workout:

20-25 of high-intensity interval training. I do an elliptical (normally) routine where I do low-medium intensity warmup, then go hard and fast for however long I can, which is usually 20-30 seconds, and then go back down to the low-medium intensity until the next 5 minute interval. I do this up to 20 or 25 minutes, depending on what my body tells me.

After that, I do resistance training. Typically, I do a light-to-medium light weight for a high number of reps per set, for two sets. This is where I change things up. Sometimes I will increase the weight, and do the same, high reps until failure (or near failure). I do this weight for two sets. I'll increase again, and do the same. I usually see a decreasing number of reps with each increase in weight. I will go up to where I can only do 6-8 reps per set - again for two sets.

Sometimes, I'll do the opposite after my two warmup sets, and go straight to the higher weight, and do two sets of each weight as I decrease the weight. My number of reps will increase, but so does the muscle burn. I feel like I'm getting more of an energy-burning workout when I do this, rather than a muscle-building one, as I do with the increasing weight. That's just how it feels to me, and may not be accurate. Suffice it to say that I feel like I get a good workout either way.

One thing that I've noticed is that it's difficult to shake years of being told to avoid fats at all costs. I find that when I look for chicken to cook, I keep looking at low fat chicken breasts, rather than thighs. I also found it hard to add fats like ghee (clarified butter), coconut oil, etc. to my meals to get the needed fats, but am starting to come around. This past week I made a batch of Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs, as well as some Cream Cheese Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers. I had made a batch of these with spicy peppers previously, but I think these actually turned out better, as I roasted three whole heads of garlic, and mashed that into the cream cheese with chives, minced onion, and Himalayan sea salt. These are a very tasty way to get a bit of vegetables and some fats.


Scott



I don't have any recommendations on any good keto books this week, as I've been reading and compiling recipes from my previous suggestions. See my previous posts here, here and here.


#keto #ketolife

No comments:

Post a Comment