Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Keto Weight Loss Update - 1 Week

In a previous post (HERE), I discussed a supplement that I was starting, along with migrating to a keto diet. I've taken my '1 week later' weight and body fat numbers, and here they are:

Day 0 - 197 lbs, 35% body fat.
Day 7 - 195.5 lbs, 33% body fat

On the surface, that doesn't look all that impressive. So, I did some math:

On Day 0, I weighed in at 197 lbs with 35% fat, which equates to 69 lbs of fat. (yuck).
On Day 7, I weighed in at 195.5 lbs, with 33% fat, which equates to 64.5lbs of fat. See where I'm going with this?

Over 7 days, I lost 4.5 lbs of body fat. That seems pretty impressive to me. Admittedly, I exercise 3-5 times per week, which hasn't really changed, so more exercise isn't the cause. My diet, on the other hand, has changed. I am probably not in full-blown ketosis at this point, having just decreased my number of daily carbs over the course of the week. On top of that, I'm still getting 100 grams of carbs per day, which is at the high end of what is understood as getting the body into ketosis.

It's recommended that in general, 50 (net) grams or lower is better, with less than 20 (net) grams being ideal. I'm nowhere near that, as my morning coffee was usually on the order of 30-40 grams of carbs, due to 2 tbsp of agave syrup and 2 tbsp of half and half I put in it. I just started using half the amount of agave and supplementing it with a packet of sucralose, thus bringing that number down to around 20, but that's just what's in my coffee. I'll likely drop my morning cup of joe altogether as I continue the process on keto. This should get me into full-blown ketosis

Net carbs? Simply, net carbs are calculated by the number of carbs minus the fiber in the food you eat. Since my coffee has no fiber, I don't subtract any. The 100 grams number above is a general number that is used without factoring in fiber in the food you eat.


I've found a couple more really good keto books on Amazon as well:


 https://amzn.to/2OgPcvz


Keto: The Complete Guide to Success on The Ketogenic Diet, including Simplified Science and No-cook Meal Plans

This is one of the highest-rated keto books on the market right now, and is one of my favorites as well!



 https://amzn.to/2ObouEk


The Keto Diet: The Complete Guide to a High-Fat Diet, with More Than 125 Delectable Recipes and 5 Meal Plans to Shed Weight, Heal Your Body, and Regain Confidence
This book is filled with really good recipes, most of which use fairly common ingredients, although sometimes it's nice to try something you've never had, or haven't had in a while.

#keto #ketolife

No comments:

Post a Comment