Monday, October 2, 2017

Ham and Veggie Frittatas. Yum!

I just cooked up a batch of frittatas with ham, bell peppers and onions. I got hooked on some that I found at the grocery store, but figured I could doctor them and make something of my own. So, I found a recipe online, used it, and gave it a shot. My first batch turned out quite tasty.

You can make these, freeze them, and then microwave them for about 50 seconds to warm them to eat. Top with salsa, Texas Pete (my personal favorite), or anything you might put on eggs. If you're on the go and are eating them out of hand, just heat them up and go. As is, they are low-carb and high in protein.


The recipe is below:

Ingredients: 2 cups finely diced ham
1 1/3 cups finely grated cheese, if desired
1 bell pepper, finely diced
1/3 of a large onion, finely diced
15 eggs, beaten well
Salt and pepper to taste
Other spices, if desired

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin pan liberally, or these WILL stick. I greased mine with shortening, and they still stuck.

Finely dice the ham, bell pepper, and onion. I microwaved the onion in a glass bowl for 1 minute to reduce the 'breath-effects' of onions. The 20-30 minutes of cook time might take care of this on its own, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Crack the eggs into a large bowl and salt and pepper if desired. Beat well. I used a hand mixer to make sure it was well-beaten and smooth.

Layer the diced ingredients in the muffin pan, with cheese if you desire. Fill no more than 2/3 of the way. Pour the beaten eggs into the cups, making sure you leave some room for expansion. Use a fork to mix the diced ingredients and the egg.

These will puff up like a souffle in the oven, although they do shrink while cooling. The original recipe stated that it made a dozen, but I ended up with 18, even without using cheese in my first dozen. I then made 6 more with just egg and cheese.

Cook for about 23 minutes, and check for doneness. I ended up going about 29 minutes on mine, as I like my egg to be a bit drier than some might like. It makes for easier eating when you're in the car on the way to work - the way I usually eat breakfast.


Next time, I think I'll modify the process a bit. I will try greasing the muffin tins and then powdering them with flour. I've never had a cake stick when doing this. Keep in mind that if you are going low-carb, this will add a small amount of carbohydrates. I will try not cooking the onions to see what effect that has on the overall flavor. I'll probably also just combine the veggies, ham, and add the cheese to a large bowl, and then drop this mixture into the cups. I might also add some diced mushrooms as well. You can change the ham out for just about any type of meat you like. I might try some breakfast sausage, ground Italian sausage, or bacon. You can't go wrong with bacon. #keto #ketolife

No comments:

Post a Comment